Job title Sales Manager
Main purpose of the role
· To support the Managing Director in all aspects of running the sales department and client contact centre
· To oversee the marketing effort and team
· To improve and develop insurer relationships
· To build the business in accordance with the business plan
· To lead, develop and support the sales teams whom you are responsible for
· To drive truly exceptional sales performance and an understanding of the correct behaviours across all aspects of the sales floor
· To oversee and maintain the highest levels of client support and service
Key responsibilities and deliverables
· Set sales targets to drive the business forward covering all aspects of sales and income
· Support all aspects of the sales team which include:
New biz, pipeline, renewals and the sales admin
· Help the team to hit their targets compliantly every month
· Highlight areas of business development needed to support the long term health of the company
· Respond appropriately to client complaints and manage this process
· Prepare, measure and report against your individual sales plan and deliverables in your monthly 121s
· Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders as required to fulfil your role e.g. internal (senior managers, marketing, business development, finance, admin) and external (suppliers, partners)
· Work closely with the Managing Director, Head of Insurance, HR Manager to support the sales teams in achieving success.
· Effectively manage your department’s resources in line with budgets (people, financial)
· Identify and report on market and competitor activity and intelligence
· Ensure you have a low risk, compliant environment to operate within and that your teams are appropriately trained and skilled
· To ensure that your operate within the published policies and procedures
· Ensure each team member puts the client at the heart of everything they do
· Ensure your team take a “value” and “benefits” approach and steers away as far as possible from discounting heavily and competing on price
· Ensure each member of your team knows exactly what is expected of them (targets and behaviour)
· Agree personal objectives with team members carrying out additional responsibilities/project work
· Coach the sales team to ensure achievement of individual and team targets to agreed standards
· Performance manage your team, identifying any skills and motivation gaps and agreeing plans to address these using Personal Development Plans (all staff) or Personal Improvement Plans (under performing staff) as appropriate
· Hold monthly 121s with team members, quarterly formal performance reviews and annual appraisals
· Ensure that you perform effective 121’s and can facilitate all of the departmental 121 meetings
· Participate in quarterly leveling of team members with your line manager
· Ensure all members of your team adhere to the relevant policies in the health and safety handbook
· Develop and share best practice amongst team members, delivering departmental training as and when required
Leadership and personal excellence
· Identify your strengths and weaknesses and take responsibility for your personal development plan and training, reviewing this in your monthly 121 with your line manager
· Always be learning and strive to achieve mastery of the Sales Management role
· Adhere to the relevant policies in the health and safety handbook
Other duties and responsibilities as may be set by the board of directors
Essential and Desirable Skills and Experience
A minimum of 5 years of working in both sales and sales leadership in a professional commercial broking environment.
A demonstrable background of growing and managing a significant income stream in the commercial broking market.
Detailed knowledge of commercial insurance add ons, renewal practices and administration.
Flexible and professional approach.
An ability to deliver results to tight deadlines.
Strength pf character and a determination to succeed, even when things get tough.
A demonstrable network in the commercial insurance broking market. For example, applicant should be aware of key markets, trends and people of influence.
Previous experience of working in a startup business or in the launch phase of a business.