Brown Armstrong's comprehensive accounting services and specialization in five distinct niches make us unique, which also allows us to provide customized services specifically designed for each client we serve. Based in California with several offices over California we have tremendous reach throughout the State.
We are looking for a tax manager that is highly motivated with a desire for success based out of the Bakersfield office or through telecommuting.
The Tax Manager is the liaison between the Partner, the client, and the Staff. Tax Managers are responsible for managing multiple small business accounting projects and client engagements simultaneously, providing quality client service, maintaining profitable client relationships, and scheduling, staffing, and coordinating engagement workflow. Tax Managers develop and train staff, and make associations to develop new business for the Firm.
Position Type: Full-Time
- Apply technical tax principles to tax return preparation.
- Work as part of a team that helps to provide tax knowledge and experience to clients.
- Manages and completes multiple engagements of all levels of complexity with an emphasis on quality standards, timely completion, and profitability. Ensures that tax returns, financial statements, and letters of recommendation are prepared in accordance with professional and Firm standards.
- Keeps the partners informed of all important developments on engagement, analyzes problems, and recommends solutions.
- Resolves client issues and problems. Anticipates problem areas of an engagement and questions that will arise. Assists other departments in client small business matters. Acts as a liaison for other accounting and consulting services provided by the Firm and strategic alliances of the Firm.
- Supervises, trains, and develops staff assigned to engagements managed including the preparation of work-papers and financial statements.
- Conducts engagement completion and performance evaluations for staff and seniors.
- Prepares invoices for partner review and approval. Communicates details of fees to clients. Assists in the collection of past due client balances. Reviews and monitors engagement WIP to ensure adherence to engagement time and billing budget.
- Maintains knowledge of general economic and political trends of possible tax or other legislation that could affect the business climate. Maintains a current knowledge of industry trends of assigned industry niche to improve market share. Gains knowledge of new and emerging accounting practices, procedures, and legislation that could benefit existing client base.
- Compiles research and prepares reports and memoranda on various small business topics.
Actively participates in the Firm’s business development efforts. Professionally markets the Firm’s services to acquire new and expand existing clients.
Enhances personal and Firm reputation by conducting seminars, making presentations at conferences and seminars, and assisting in formal training sessions.
Represents the Firm through participation in professional, charitable, and/or civic organizations.
- Financial management
- Communication proficiency
- Ethical conduct
- Business acumen
- Initiative/conceptual thinking
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance; or Master’s Degree in Accounting.
- Minimum of 40 hours of annual continuing professional education (CPE).
- Minimum of 5 years of public accounting demonstrating a progression in complexity, scope, and number of engagements managed.
- A member in good standing with the AICPA and California Society of CPA’s.
- Must possess excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Preferred Education/Experience
- Experience with paperless software
- Knowledge of agriculture, oil/gas industry a plus
- Valid California Driver’s License and proof of insurance.
We offer: Paid Vacation up to 4 weeks, Comp time banks, 100% Paid Health Insurance, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Paid Training, Paid Gym Membership, Referral Bonuses, Bonus Pool, and much more!
Be Part of a Uniquely Supportive Community
We care for our clients and each other by delivering high-quality services with a personal touch because with us, it’s never just a job, it’s a career.
Brown Armstrong is an Equal Opportunity Employer