Are you passionate about supporting veterans and homeless populations? Do you have experience with grant writing and managing relationships with grant funders?
We are currently in search of a Grants and Contracts Director for Operation Dignity. This is a full-time, permanent position based in Oakland California, and offers a hybrid schedule.
ORGANIZATION: Operation Dignity
LOCATION: Oakland CA.
POSITION TITLE: Grants and Contracts Director
ANNUAL SALARY: $90k-$120k annual plus benefits
Is This Your Dream Job? Position Overview:
The Grants and Contracts Director is responsible for managing and growing $7 million in annual revenue from private grants (5%) and public government contracts (95%). The Director will prepare and submit grant applications and reports and federal and local government contracts as well as maintain and cultivate these funder relationships to help maintain and expand grants and contracts revenue.
The Director will supervise three staff members within the development team: Development Associate, Data and Intake Coordinator, and Data Specialist.
About Operation Dignity:
Operation Dignity has been on the frontlines of addressing the homelessness crisis, particularly among veterans, for more than 25 years. Founded in 1993 by formerly homeless veteran Alex McElree, Operation Dignity provides safety-net services to veterans and others experiencing homelessness, including shelter, food, and comprehensive supportive services. We are the largest transitional housing provider for veterans in the county, and the only such provider in the area serving women veterans and veterans with children. In 2021, we placed 83% of the veterans who exited our transitional housing into permanent housing, ending their homelessness.
- Supervise a Data & Intake Coordinator who conducts intakes and ensures veterans are placed in the program best suited to meet their clinical needs; and ensures compliance with requirements from the VA, Oakland Housing Authority, City of Oakland, and other funders as needed.
- Supervise a Data Specialist who is responsible for essential administrative support to the office and street outreach teams, including but not limited to, serving walk-in clients, and assisting with data entry and data quality.
- Manage Operation Dignity’s publicly funded contracts, which include the Department of Veterans Affairs, City of Oakland, City of Alameda, and Alameda County.
- Maintain a calendar of contract requirements, including application and report deadlines and other compliance-related activities.
- Write, edit, and manage documents and materials for contracts, reports, and updates.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and leadership team, negotiate contracts with government agencies. Carefully review all contract scopes of work and budgets and provide recommendations to leadership.
- Prepare budgets with the finance team and ensure that they are aligned with the relevant contract scope of work.
- Support finance and program staff to monitor spending throughout the contract period and recommend adjustments as needed to avoid over- or underspending.
- Serve as Operation Dignity’s HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) liaison. This position registers staff for HMIS training, attends Alameda County data quality meetings, and serves as the internal HMIS expert and go-to for data questions.
- Prepare and present a contracts progress report at board meetings every other month.
- Other duties related to government contracts as assigned.
- Manage and grow Operation Dignity’s private grants program, which includes major existing grant funders Wells Fargo, Safeway, and Kaiser Permanente.
- Maintain a forecast in the Salesforce database of grant applications and reports due and new grant opportunities.
- Write, edit, and manage documents and materials for grant applications, reports, and updates.
- Research and cultivate new grant opportunities. Leverage the Board of Directors, Executive Director, donors, and other stakeholders to identify and cultivate relationships.
- Collaborate with finance to prepare grant application budgets.
- Prepare and present a grants progress report at board meetings every other month.
- Other duties related to grant-related activities as assigned.
Fundraising Writing and Operations
- Supervise a Development Associate who is responsible for day-to-day administrative, gift processing, writing projects, and donor relations activities.
- Write content and collect materials for an annual appeal, 6x a year e-newsletter to individual donors and prospects, quarterly e-newsletter to organizations, and other materials for other fundraising and marketing activities
- Carry out other duties related to fundraising writing and operations as needed.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree
- 7+ years of experience in public or private grant writing and management.
- Experience in organization funder identification, cultivation, and stewardship preferred.
- Excellent time and project management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks, work with deadlines, and coordinate with a team to get things done.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- This position must be comfortable with a large volume of writing, as well as have a strong understanding of budgets and the ability to collaborate with colleagues on developing and managing budgets.
- Ability to present complex information in writing in a direct and appealing way to various audiences.·
- Strong team player who can collaborate well with departmental and program staff, along with external partners/stakeholders.
- Ability to establish effective professional relationships with culturally and racially diverse staff and partners.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with Salesforce database and Clarity/other HMIS software is desirable.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Compliant with public health orders regarding COVID-19 vaccination.
We’d love to hear from you.
Operation Dignity has retained Careers In Nonprofits to help with this hire. If you are interested in finding out more, please click “apply” below and follow the instructions to submit your resume.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume to email@example.com.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Careers In Nonprofits is an equal opportunity employer. Empowered by the #ILoveMyJob mission, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment within the nonprofit sector.
About Careers In Nonprofits
Careers In Nonprofits is a seven-time award-winning Best of Staffing recruiting firm, exclusively serving the nonprofit sector. Since 2006 we have provided temporary, temp-to-hire, and direct hire services to over 600 nonprofit organizations throughout the US. Our mission is to connect the best people with the best causes. We successfully fulfill this mission by identifying client needs and candidates' career goals and matching them through a proven search process that works. For more information, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications, we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us regarding your application in response to this ad.