Reports to - Manager
Oversee staff - Yes
Business Unit/Product - Data Solutions
Schedule - M-F
Location (in office/remote) - Remote
FLSA - Exempt
ENTRUST Solutions Group, an ENR Top 100 company, is a community of people, 2,500+ strong, who are committed to our clients and each other. We are diverse, talented, dedicated, and wholly focused on not only meeting the needs of our clients but exceeding their expectations.
We provide comprehensive and dependable engineering, consulting, and automation services to gas and electric utilities, telecommunication service providers, pipeline operators, and industrial companies. With first-hand experience operating and maintaining energy infrastructure, our engineering professionals provide expertise in Renewables, Power Services, GIS and Data Solutions, Automation Integration, Pipeline Engineering, Integrity Services, Industrial Solutions, Telecommunications, and Process Safety Management.
At ENTRUST, we work together as a team to accomplish more than we would individually, delivering innovative engineering solutions to meet our clients’ needs, while consistently maintaining the highest level of ethics and integrity.
We are passionate about what we do, how we do it, and who we do it for. We work with a smile, connect easily with others, and believe that work-life balance and a flexible work environment benefit everyone.
In return for top talent, ENTRUST Solutions Group offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and a positive work environment designed around the philosophy of mutual respect and the challenge of contributing to the continued success of our organization.
ENTRUST SOLUTIONS GROUP BY THE NUMBERS:
35+ US locations with licenses in all 50 states
3000+ Employees company-wide
31+ Languages in which our employees are fluent
105+ Professional Engineers (PE)
This position is responsible for creating, updating, and enhancing GIS and other database systems internally at ENTRUST as well as within client systems. This includes building and/or implementing tools to ensure data integrity and quality controls are automated and/or available to end users. This position is responsible for ensuring that general design, development, and operational practices of databases and database systems are compatible within GIS Enterprise-wide systems, custom interfaces and integrations. Will work closely with IT, GIS administrators, project managers, and developers. This position supports internal activity as well as consults directly with clients. This position should expect to leverage an ability to program in python and SQL in addition to a strong background in supporting SQL Server as a power user and admin, especially as it pertains to Esri Enterprise (Spatial Database Engine). This role- functions as primary practitioner coach on the team to grow the capabilities of other engineers on the team. Responsible for driving new initiatives, conducts POC's and evaluates other products for seamless integration. Additional tasks may include miscellaneous R&D, training, system monitoring, technical documentation, and participation in network architecture discussions.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assess, influence, and implement best practices for database design and operation internally at ENTRUST.
- Plan, design and deploy up-to-date GIS architecture to include both SQL and GIS server software and hardware in support of supplemental geo-spatial components and geo-enabled and dependent software systems to ensure system scalability, performance and reliability
· Maintaining and monitoring the health, performance, security measures, and development practices within a RDBMS at ENTRUST.
- Investigate and resolve issues with ESRI versioned geodatabases, including user issues on the desktop as well as performance issues in the geodatabase itself
- Investigate and resolve user database issues, including troubleshooting batch processing jobs in various environments
· Developing custom enhancements within RDBMS such as automations and integrations with backend and frontend systems.
· Collaborate with IT, GIS Infrastructure Manager, and Directors to ensure database systems are meeting business needs.
- Design GIS databases and data structures, initiated by gathering business requirements from customers and other GIS staff to meet both the technical needs of the GIS and the business requirements of the customer
· Coach and train junior team members into subject matter expertise.
- Collaborate with other DB Administrators and System Administrators to provide viable GIS software solutions, support, and maintenance
- Develop, implement, and enforce application-related database standards; establish common practices for database design, documentation, naming conventions, security, reporting, and access
· Providing GIS database development, management, updates, and maintenance for client gas and/or electric distribution systems
- Explore and facilitate data integration opportunities between GIS and other enterprise systems
· Troubleshooting technical problems
- Identify, analyze, and resolve technical issues regarding organizational SQL and GIS server infrastructure and server performance. Design, configure, implement, tune, upgrade and secure GIS and SQL servers
· Coordinating data conversion processes and workflow
- Develop and operationalize data integration processes for both internal and external data systems
- Plan, implement and execute on-going GIS system support, customization, process automation, hardware sizing and maintenance of GIS Servers, SQL Servers and other geo-enabled applications and systems
· Coordinating project details with project management staff
- Consult with customers to identify appropriate technical solutions, develop standards and guidelines, and communicate technical actions and expectations to a diverse audience of both technical and non-technical users. To provide business solutions, will collaborate with other development staff and system administrators to determine application server and database requirements for new applications
- Review vendor specifications and verify technical requirements for geospatially dependent software and hardware
- Consult with GIS and geo-data impacted application vendors to troubleshoot technology issues with software and/or hardware
· Needs assessment and functional requirements gathering
- Use of abstract process documentation to functional application development
· Technical Documentation
- Create, edit and maintain technical documentation and instructions for servers, databases, applications and processes
· Performing QA/QC functions
· Performing miscellaneous job-related duties as necessary
- Assist in day-to-day operation of the existing Data Solutions GIS program
- Run data import, export and processing routines from external data sources, FTP sites, and conversions of data between SQL, Oracle, and other data sources
- Create and modify SQL queries and stored procedures, implement automated processes, and perform systems upgrades and general troubleshooting.
- Supervisory duties are not a responsibility, but this position will function as a Lead role for interns and project teams
- Communicate face to face, by telephone, and in written form with both individuals and groups
- Receive instructions from supervisor on work results required with some latitude to make decisions based on policies, principles, and departmental objectives and the ability to use sound judgment.
- Work under the guidance of the Data Solutions Manager to for project assignments
- Bachelor’s degree is required in GIS, Computer Science or closely related field
- Expert proficiency in SQL Server
- Advanced Proficiency in ESRI databases
- 4+ years of programming in SQL
- 2+ years of programming in python
- Knowledge of SQL Server administration and SQL programming with SQL Server 2016
- Able to perform complex data manipulation, conversion, load and clean up
- Specific experience associated with the development and maintenance of gas and/or electric utility/transmission GIS databases, such as PODS, UPDM, and Utility Network
- 5 years' experience with ESRIs ArcGIS suite of software with skills in GIS data entry, maintenance, and QA/QC techniques
- 4 years’ experience Knowledge and experience with ESRI enterprise geodatabase administration, including maintenance and troubleshooting, versioning and replication, geometric networks, parcel fabric, and ArcGIS Workflow Manager
- Strong work ethic with desire to work in a production environment
- Create small applications, modules, or interfaces, working proficiency with standard programming languages, such as SQL and Python
- Perform database design and documentation
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with teammates and customers
- Excellent writing skills. Experience documenting new and existing processes as well as updating existing documentation when changes are necessary
- Skill sets to include problem solving, database design, program languages, compilers, and abstract thinking required for programming and ability to decipher requests and create data analysis products to complete customer requests
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work and learn independently
- The ability to train a wide range of users on the ESRI ArcGIS platforms
- Candidates should be flexible due to rapid prototyping, and quick turnaround may be required
- Strong analytical abilities with high degree of technical competence in analysis, design, and programming
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of cartographic rules and principles, including data sources, data projections, and data integration
- Working knowledge of data integration with RDBMS, Big Data/Hadoop, Data Warehouse, Data Lake concepts and has relevant experience with various OS, network and storage concepts.
- Willing to perform data modeling and create data architecture footprints that has operational integration capabilities.
· Must possess ability to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites within and away from the Firm; must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours); strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 25 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone
- Employee may be asked to work in a remote capacity and not have a fixed office within the City office space.
- Employee is subject to working alone and/or with groups and/or attends meetings.
- Employee spends extended periods of time at fixed workstation.
- Employee may be required to conduct business in alternate locations within City buildings or field sites sometimes in formal settings.
- Employee may be required to work overtime, holidays, evenings, shifts, or weekends.
- Employee may have frequent interruptions; required to multi-task; inflexible deadlines.
- Employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions--as in typical office or administrative work. Work performed is sedentary.
- Safe to minimal hazards that are typically found in general office environment where there is rarely little or no exposure to injury or accident.
· Must possess ability to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites within and away from the Firm; must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours); strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 25 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. ENTrust Solutions Group, LLC reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs. Employees are considered “at will” employees where either party can modify or end the employment relationship at any time without notice. Employees must be able to perform the essential responsibilities of the role satisfactorily. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified employee with a disability to perform the essential duties of the job, absent undue hardship.