Licensed Conveyancer - 896682

Peterborough, GB-ENG

As a residential conveyancer or qualified professional property lawyer, you'll specialise in property law and will work on behalf of clients buying or selling houses, flats, business premises or land in England and Wales. You'll deal with all the legal matters, administration, finance and queries involved in a property transaction.

The role involves processing and agreeing mortgage and lease contracts, arranging transfers and handling other documents that sellers must sign when purchasing property. You'll also advise clients on the technical content of the documents and their financial implications. You may act on behalf of the vendor or the purchaser, and in certain circumstances for both in the same transaction.


As a licensed conveyancer, you'll need to:

  • research information and communicate with clients and others in person, on the phone, by letter or by email
  • use a computerised case management system, as conveyancing tasks are increasingly being completed online
  • take instructions from clients
  • seek to protect clients' interests at all times, while taking precautions against potential fraud and money laundering
  • send terms of engagement and estimates of fees and disbursements
  • obtain or check Land Registry documents or title deeds (if the land is unregistered)
  • draft or check sales contracts and agree terms with the conveyancer acting for the other party to the transaction
  • collate and send or check supporting legal and financial documents
  • deal with all financial aspects of a transaction
  • exchange contracts and complete the transaction
  • if the property is leasehold, obtain the landlord's agreement to the sale or the change of mortgage and deal with apportionments of rent and service charges.

Specific tasks for purchase transactions include:

  • carrying out and checking pre-contract searches by checking whether the property is affected by local authority proposals, leases, easements or covenants, mortgages, land tax, susceptibility to flooding or subsidence, or liability for unsound building structures and repairs
  • receive and check mortgage instructions from lenders and undertake specific tasks required
  • prepare transfer and mortgage deeds
  • receive mortgage funds
  • pay stamp taxes and deal with the registration of client and lender with the Land Registry.