Our client is a full-service contract manufacturer that offers a full suite of capabilities including plastic and liquid silicone injection molding, two-shot rotary molding, as well as in-house tool construction and turn-key assemblies. This Lead Tooling Engineer is a vital position in the company’s continued growth and will be responsible for driving new tooling through the entire development phase while also leading a team of engineers and designers. This is a key hire for the company and could be a career-changing role for the right person!
- Drive new tooling through the entire development phase.
- Work with Business Development to obtain project scope (budget, lead-time, key deliverables).
- Takes info from Biz Dev and owns all aspects of the tooling from that point forward.
- Perform Design & DFM activities and engage with customers to work through these issues.
- Modify CAD files and communicate DFM issues using PowerPoint’s and WebEx.
- Determine gate locations, ejector pin locations, document parting line locations, inserts required, actions required, etc.
- Perform mold flow analysis as required.
- Oversee and approve mold designs (both internal and external).
- Work with customer to obtain documented design approval when applicable.
- Document and resolve tooling issues while pushing for production approval.
- Responsible for storing CAD files, customer prints, and related documents.
- While mold design is not the primary responsibility, we do want this individual to be able to perform this task. Being able to assist with light mold designs and help push through tooling revisions will be a critical function of this role.
- High School Diploma or GED is required. 2 years of technical or trade school with an emphasis on tool making is preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience of working in a tool room or similar environment.
- 5+ years’ experience in a leadership role.
- Transformational leadership style is needed.
- Technical expertise in plastic injection molding.
- Technical mathematical skills such as: geometry, trigonometry, and mechanical drafting.
- The ability to multitask is necessary such as: running several projects at the same time without losing the ability to complete them on time and within the customer specifications.
- The ability to communicate with other departments, direct report, and converse with customers in a professional and respectful manner.
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office.
- The build plastic injection molds safely and in an efficient manner within customers specifications.
- Knows complete functions of the EDM process and understands electrodes.
- Proficient knowledge of all process within the shop.