- This company offers some of today’s most sought after life insurance, annuity, and retirement planning products. Unlike most financial organizations, our companies are not publicly traded, which means we’re focused on long-term value rather than short-term earnings pressures.
- As a privately held company, our leaders and employees remain consistently focused on long-term growth, making decisions that allow us to deliver on our commitments to customers, distribution partners, our employees, and our communities.
- Individually, our companies provide value in the products and services they offer.
- Together we represent a history of strength and longevity.
What you can expect when you join:
- A casual dress code including jeans
- A rich company culture driven by private ownership and intentional leadership inspiring employees to engage in our healthy, high-performing and values based culture
- Healthy balance between work and personal lives.
- Friday afternoons off all year long, competitive PTO and generous number of paid holidays
- Great benefits including medical, dental, vision, wellness plan, charitable giving programs, education assistance… to name a few
- ESOP-A generous 100% company funded retirement plan
What you can expect as the Internal Auditor
Perform professional internal auditing work. Assist management by furnishing them with objective analysis, appraisals, recommendations and pertinent comments concerning activities reviewed, utilizing professional accepted auditing techniques and procedures. Maintain all organizational and professional ethical standards. Work under limited supervision with moderate latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
- Assist in identifying and evaluating organization’s risk areas and provide input to the development of the annual audit plan. Able to relate organizational risk appetite to level of controls necessary.
- Review and appraise assigned organizational and functional activities
- Apply understanding of COSO framework for internal controls in evaluating adequacy of design and effectiveness of the management controls over activities audited to identify key control points of the system under review. Make recommendations for improvements to internal controls.
- Plan and execute audits in accordance with accepted professional standards. Determine direction and scope of proposed audit and procedures used in conducting the audit. Identify risks and controls and related weaknesses. Conduct interviews, obtain, analyze and appraise evidentiary data as a basis for an informed objective opinion on the adequacy and effectiveness of policies and procedures, as well as the efficiency of performance of activities reviewed.
- Report audit findings orally and in formal written reports to management and make recommendations for corrective action to improve operations and reduce costs.
- Identify, design and develop data analytics; extract routines and generate output for visualization/analysis.
- Assist in conducting annual financial audit under the direction of the external auditors using knowledge of GAAP/IFRS and statutory accounting standards.
- Evaluate organizational unit compliance with corporate policies, procedures and management instructions.
- Assist in appraising adequacy of corrective action taken to improve deficient conditions.
- Objectively analyze and evaluate an issue, including unconventional approaches when necessary, in order to form a judgment or solve a problem.
- Coordinate with IT auditor in conducting reviews of IT processes and controls.
- Obtain and apply knowledge of Internal Audit procedures, corporate computing systems and software tools.
- Pursue professional development opportunities, including internal and external training and professional association memberships, and shares information gained with co-workers.
- Create opportunities to build positive and collaborative working relationship with key stakeholders across the organization including several geographic locations to achieve department and company goals.
- Maintain confidentiality of all company information reviewed.
- Drive and reinforce commitment to internal controls processes, such as those under Model Audit Rule and Record Information Management.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- 2-4 years internal audit experience required
- Will demonstrate thoughtful and innovative approaches to addressing challenges and opportunities, while exemplifying courage to speak up and empowerment to drive change within the workplace
- Knowledge of business systems sufficient to thoroughly evaluate system effectiveness through application of accepted audit procedures
- Knowledge of accounting and management information systems terminology, concepts and practices
- Understanding of IT general controls and security concepts sufficient to assist in conducting reviews of these areas
- Knowledge of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Demonstrated professionalism, motivation and intellectual curiosity Ability to adapt to change and learn quickly
- High level of initiative and ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple audit assignments while maintaining expected levels of quality and meeting agreed upon timelines for completion
- Ability to determine appropriate audit procedures to apply, including sampling and use of automated audit tools
- Effective written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate issues and resolve problems, disagreements and conflicts in a manner that builds relationships
- Ability to perform appraisals of the adequacy of responses to recommendations and determination of appropriate follow-up procedures
- Collaborative team skills within and outside of Internal Audit and the ability to work in a positive fashion toward common organization goals
- Ability to pinpoint systemic causes of operations issues
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills in analyzing processes and systems
- Ability to influence clients to think differently through provision of strong supporting evidence on which audit conclusions are based
- Knowledge of GAAP/IFRS and statutory accounting principles Knowledge of insurance industry program policies, procedures, regulations and laws
- Efficient in word processing, spreadsheets and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries and analyses
- Criminal background check required.
- Travel (up to 25%) to other offices is required.