- This is a senior level control systems and instrumentation designer position.
- The position requires strong technical ability to both perform design tasks and lead others, ability to work independently with minimal guidance, working knowledge of stage-gated industrial projects, and strong communication skills in written, spoken, and personal formats.
- Our senior designers can produce complete construction drawing packages with limited engineering guidance and are often paired with junior engineers to help mentor them in the craft of design.
- Strong capability for complex design tasks such as producing complete control panel layout and wiring drawings is essential.
- Our designers are not a drafting service, they are an essential part of our team producing high quality packages, and we value senior designers willing to mentor young designers and engineers.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Execute project design tasks in partnership with Control Systems Engineer counterparts.
- Develop Control Systems scope on the project P&IDs.
- Coordinate with Control Systems Engineer and project team to develop basic to complex schedules.
- Coordinate inter-discipline design directly with counterparts in other disciplines (such as piping and electrical).
- Work within 3D design software where applicable; contribute to and extract information from 3D model.
- Perform detailed vendor document reviews and incorporate into project design.
- Establish design budgets, forecast work, manage scope and budget for self and the design team
- Perform drawing and document research in client databases; coordinate with Document Control the Company’s and Clients to properly find and checkout drawings.
Lead the development of detailed construction packages in accordance with codes and standards:
- Block Diagrams
- Location and Plot Plans
- Wiring Diagrams
- Loop Drawings
- Cabinet/Equipment Layouts
- Cable & Conduit Routing Schedules
- Conduit & Tray Diagrams
- Instrument Installation Details
- Material Take-Offs (MTO) and Bills of Material (BoMs)
- Coordinate final package quality checks and hand-off to project assistants for formal issue
- This position may not perform all of these duties on a given project, but is ultimately responsible for the quality and completeness of the package
- Perform quality checks on ones’ own work, as well as independent checks for co-workers
- Ensure projects and work processes adhere to the Company’s Project Services Quality System (PSQS) for one’s own work as well as a small team
- Perform work with minimal supervision and guidance
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES – TECHNICAL:
- Ability to create, modify and work with 2D drawings in the AutoCAD 2010 (or newer) software.
- Read and develop basic to complex Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), and translate them into control system documents as block diagrams.
- As-build control and instrument systems in the field, producing accurate markups of documents and drawings.
- Design infrastructure for industrial communication and control networks.
- Design wiring, conduit, and cable tray systems for NEC-hazardous classified areas.
- Prepare detailed design of projects in compliance with governing codes, regulations, and client standards.
- Design PLC and DCS hardware and wiring systems; working knowledge of PLC and DCS point types.
- Specify and review design for control panel layout, wiring, BOM, etc.in concert with engineers.
- Basic working knowledge of 3D Design and software.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Familiar with and able to work within stage-gated project processes and requirements.
- Prioritize work for self and a small team.
- Perform effectively in a team environment, both in-person and remotely.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Able to develop design budgets and schedules and execute them.
- Experience developing construction packages for small to medium projects ($1MM to $30MM TIC).
- Able to point out and provide solutions for drawing consistency, quality, and presentation errors in deliverables.
- Highly detail oriented with a strong, self-driven work ethic.
- Able to identify areas of personal technical strengths and weaknesses, ask for help when needed, and quickly learn new responsibilities.
- Able to evaluate equipment in the field, including climbing ladders, flights of stairs, etc.
- Able to travel to remote work sites on occasion.
- Strong computer skills - Microsoft Applications.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- A.A.S. or higher in engineering or related discipline - Preferred
- Ability to work in INtools (SPI)
- Strong 3D Design capability
- Experience in Electrical Design
- Working knowledge and basic understanding of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS)
- Experience working on-site at an industrial facility in maintenance, reliability, or projects groups
- Ability and desire to mentor designers and engineers
- Experience with MicroStation
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
- 10-25 years of experience in I&C design on Oil & Gas, Refining, and/or Petrochemical Plant projects
- Able to sit/stand, type, and perform computer work for long periods of time.
- Frequent use of hands/fingers for computer entry and answering phones.
- Able to perform occasional bending, lifting, and reaching.
- Must be able to lift 15 lbs if necessary.
- Able to work in heavy industrial facilities: climb ladders, work off elevated surfaces, and walk over uneven surfaces while wearing required
Compensation Range: $59.00 to $79.00/hr