Are you skilled at interpreting analytics and excel at time management? Would you like to work for an organization that embraces diversity, inclusion and respect? And can you work independently while benefiting from the collaboration of your peers?
The Centennial team is seeking a Manager, Accounting and Compliance to serve as the primary information resource on tax and financial compliance matters for Miami University. This individual will act as the primary liaison to federal, state and city filing agencies and ensure compliance with separate entities, such as Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Additionally, this role will be responsible for tax compliance and tax return preparation for income, sales/use, payroll, excise and all other tax liabilities for the University and Foundations. Assisting with tax and regulatory policy development will also be part of this position.
The Manager, Accounting and Compliance will work from the Oxford campus.
- Research, review, understand, interpret and implement compliance requirements for entities such as GASB, FASB and NCAA. Approve procurement transactions related to these compliance matters
- Prepare various external ﬁnancial reports, including but not limited to, the annual State of Ohio Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), State of Ohio Higher Education Information (HEI), and Higher Learning Education Commission (HLC)
- Coordinate annual NCAA compliance and reporting
- Monitor the University’s unrelated business income. Communicate regularly with a variety of oﬃces across campus to gather UBI information and maintain appropriate work papers on the information. Remain current with IRS positions on UBI issues and assure the University’s compliance with current regulations
- Assist with daily activities and year-end audit work papers and ﬁnancial statement preparation for Miami University and the Miami University Foundation
- Act as the University’s primary information resource on tax and related matters. Serve as primary liaison with the IRS and with the State and City filing agencies. Remain current on tax laws and regulations, and interpret them as they affect the situations of the University and the Foundations. Assist in developing University-wide financial policies that conform to IRS and other regulatory requirements. Communicate, as appropriate, to other offices on any new tax developments and ensure that appropriate measures are taken to comply
- Prepare or review a variety of other tax ﬁlings, including but not limited to: Form 990 and 990-T for the Foundation, Form 990 for the Paper Science Foundation and Western College Alumni Association, sales tax returns, property tax, exemption requests, excise tax returns, etc
- Identify, research, and resolve any compliance issues related to these returns
- Responsible for reconciling tax liability accounts for employer and employee withholding accounts
- Lead or participate in LEAN projects in order to increase processing eﬃciency and reduce costs. Continually challenge the current operations and identify new processes to review
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director of Accounting or Chief Accounting Oﬃcer
- 5 years of experience as a Staﬀ Accountant, Auditor or Accounting Supervisor/Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance and/or general business
- CPA or Master's degree is strongly preferred
- Experience with fund accounting in a university or similar environment
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills, time management skills, the ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Experience with Banner Finance or other ERP software preferred
- Prefer 3 or more years of supervisory experience, and knowledge of GAAP, GASB and FASB
- Proficient with PC-based software including an advanced proﬁciency with Excel and experience with other analytical tools
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Proficient at interpreting technical language found in contracts, tax law, etc.