Company is searching for an experienced Vice President, Internal Audit, to be responsible for the hands on management of the Internal Audit function. Reporting administratively to the Chief Legal Officer and functionally to the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Vice President, Internal Audit, will be responsible for providing assurance that the Company’s established operational and financial practices- and the related internal controls- are designed and operating effectively. The VP, Internal Audit will ensure that all audit work conforms to the Internal Audit Services Charter and external standards governing the practice of internal auditing.
The right candidate will have a demonstrated record of successfully managing Internal Audit functions in large, publicly held companies. They will have a proven track record of exceptional communication and partnership with key stakeholders, effective use of data and analytics, and a practical approach to solving business problems.
- Develop a strategic and risk based audit model and plans to insure the company is moving its controls and policies to the next level.
- Ensure that the audit process is fair, effective, timely, and efficient, and that the audit team acts not only as auditors, but also as consultants assisting clients as “subject matter experts” for controls.
- Oversee and develop highly effective and engaged corporate and field audit teams.
- Leverage technology and data to optimize and maximize the effectiveness of the internal audit process.
- Ensure appropriate escalation of audit failures and follow-up through to remediation.
- Uphold the current direct assistance (SAS No 65) model whereby the Company’s external audit firm relies on the Internal Audit department for assistance in auditing the Company’s financial statements.
- Partner with key stakeholders, including our VP Compliance, in evaluating prospective changes to controls and processes.
- Establish a strong working relationship with the Audit Committee.
- Lead investigations and special projects.
- Assist in the Company’s Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 compliance efforts.
- Partner with Legal, HR and Compliance functions on the investigation of whistle blower complaints and other matters.
- 8+ years of prior experience in the top Internal Audit role in organizations of at least similar size and complexity to company.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field. CPA (active or inactive) is required, additional certifications such as CISA, CIA, CFE are strongly desired.
- Strong working knowledge of the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing effective, risk-based auditing programs and in fostering a strong culture of policy compliance and ethical behavior.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and strategic planning skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively with the Company’s trustees, executive officers, and other team members.
- High integrity and strong moral and ethical code.