We are a privately owned real estate investment firm, specializing in Class A and Class B commercial properties. We are located in Woodland Hills, CA.
We are seeking a hands-on and strategic Controller to oversee our accounting and the ongoing management and development of our accounting team. Our investment portfolio is growing, and the Controller will provide regular monthly/quarterly/annual reporting directly to the owner and the portfolio team to assist them with their critical and strategic decision making. The Controller will also partner across the teams, work directly with banks, the external CPA and provide reporting to external investors, where our success is everyone’s success.
· Manage the accounting team and oversee the month-end close including the preparation of financials (P&L, Balance Sheet), bank reconciliations and cash flow reporting
· Ensure appropriate controls and procedures are in place for accurate and timely financial reporting, and provide ad hoc reporting for owner and investors
· Maintain the chart of accounts, review and approve journal entries, and oversee the accounts payable and accounts receivable team to ensure accuracy and timeliness of these functions
· Prepare regular additional reporting to include but not limited to P&L comparison, cash flow, bank mortgage statements, lender, and budget review for use in management decision making
· Work with the accounting team to research and explain budget to actual variances, and share these explanations with management as needed, and conduct analysis of accruals, prepays, revenue recognition and aging reconciliations
· Liaise with the external CPA firm with assistance from the internal accounting team to preparation of tax return filing of multi-entities
· Provide monthly and quarterly distributions/disbursements to investors, manage investor capital balances, and provide reporting to the investor relations team
· Manage and develop an accounting team including professional development, ongoing coaching and performance reviews
· Process billing of management fees and reimbursements to management company
· Work interdepartmentally to clarify reporting and partner with department heads on their business needs relative to accounting and finance
· Train on accounting software as appropriate and identify opportunities to use the system more efficiently or troubleshoot any issues
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
· Ideal candidate will minimum have 8-10 years of relevant experience in accounting experience in property management accounting, financial analysis, and/ investment fund management, with at least 2+ years managing an accounting team
· Ability to build and develop an accounting team, in support of company goals.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel and ideally Yardi Voyager
· Solid organizational, analytical and problem solving skills with an ability to work well under deadlines or other pressure situations
· Strong verbal and written communication skill with the ability to interact with people at all levels of the organization in a service-oriented manner
· A can-do attitude with the ability to work independent and with the team to see projects to fruition
· Ability to keep company information confidential