Our client is a stable and growing consumer goods manufacturer located in Los Angeles. They are seeking an experienced and dynamic Corporate Controller to join their leadership team.
Reporting to the CFO, the Corporate Controller oversees corporate accounting and has direct responsibility for maintenance of the company’s financial records and day to day external and internal accounting and reporting functions. This individual ensures the soundness of the Company’s financial reporting by planning and directing all financial accounting activities, including the timely completion of period, quarterly, and annual closes. In addition to Accounting, the Corporate Controller also directs the Tax, Treasury and Accounts Payable activities of the company.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Directly supervises the Accounting Manager, Accounts Payable Manager and Plant Controller while also providing guidance to their staff.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these positions in a manner that creates harmony within the workforce, and promoting an attitude that will ensure successful results
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of the periodic financial statements and reports.
- Assures that all reporting, both internal and external is done within prescribed timelines
- Directs the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, depreciation, cost, property, and operating expenses, and insurance records
- Provides financial and analytical support to the Managers of the company
- Supports the preparation of the company’s annual budget
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to financial management, budgeting and accounting
- Performs financial and non-financial analysis in order to support policy and decision making activities within the company.
- Directs and participates in cost analyses and rate studies.
- Directs the annual financial audit performed by the company’s external auditors
- Coordinates preparation of external audit materials and external financial reporting.
- Reviews financial statements with management personnel.
- Oversees the activities of Accounts Payable [A/P] and develops the company’s strategy as it relates to centralized A/P processing and disbursement.
- Responsible for coordinating the preparation of federal and state income tax returns as well as providing guidance on state sales tax matters
- Adheres to all company policies, procedures and safety rules as stated in the Employee Handbook and otherwise posted or communicated.
- Exemplify Company's core values of Performance, Passion, Partnership and Initiative in all aspects of assigned duties.
- Manages Treasury functions that include managing banking relationships
- Responsible for compiling lender reporting packages for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
- Responsible for managing cost accounting functions which include product cost, setting standards and special projects
- Responsible for costing for National Account customers
- Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited university; Master's and/or CPA a plus
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience preferably with Food & Beverage or Manufacturing/Distribution experience with mid to large companies greater than $250M in sales revenue at corporate level
- 3+ years managing an accounting team overseeing G/L and A/P
- Great track record of progression and tenure; no job hoppers
- Strong understanding of GAAP
- Experience leading monthly and annual preparation of financial statements
- Demonstrated success in engaging with external auditors and completing a clean audit
- Detail oriented and ability to work and interpret figures and other financial information.
- Experience with large ERP systems and advanced Excel skills
- Strong leadership and integrity
- Flexible and adaptable to periodic travel and has the ability to work flexible hours from time to time