Allied Search Partners
Permanent Histotech – Huntsville, AL
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Account (HSA)
Prescription RX Plan
Basic Life & AD&D
Voluntary Term Life
Short Term Disability
Hearing Insurance Coverages
Discounts on Travel, Auto Insurance, Electronics, Apparel, Education, Entertainment and much more!
Working as a team member within the histology department and under the general direction ofthe histology supervisor and pathologists, this person uses standard operating procedures to process, prepare, and stain histology and non-gyn cytology specimens to meet workload requirements in a timely, cost-effective manner. These responsibilities include but are not limited to the processing of specimens, cutting blocks, preparing and staining slides, performing special stains, routine maintenance and cleaning within the department, performance and documentation of quality control and quality assurance procedures in accordance with all company, compliance, safety, CAP, and CLIA requirements. A certified histotech who meets CAP requirements for performing gross examination and dissection may, under direction of a pathologist, perform assigned cutting room responsibilities.
Histotech (Healthcare Sciences)
Position Title: Histotech
Shifts Available: 4am to 12:30pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Core Job Responsibilites of a Histotech includes:
- Follows established company policies and departmental standard operating procedures including company compliance standards.
- Maintains utmost confidentiality of company, coworker, patient, and client information.
- Follow safety and security policies and precautions, reporting any incidents, injuries, or concerns promptly.
- Supports the company philosophy of quality service delivery in a business-like / professional, courteous, and timely manner.
- Functions as a cooperative team member, using courtesy and respect to assure that the department and company service obligations are met in a coordinated, effective, and timely manner.
- Notifies supervisor / management of situations or problems that can adversely effect the overall work environment, service functions, and/or client/patient/company relations.
- Reports to work on time, works productively, maintains good attendance, and is punctual in retuming from breaks and lunch.
- Maintains accurate, complete and timely payroll records on a daily basis.
- Adapts to variations in work schedule and assignments to accommodate staffing needs of the department, which may include periodic weekend shifts and overtime as approved.
- Communicates in a business-like yet respectful and courteous manner.
- Develops new skills required to keep current in performing job functions
- Other duties as deemed appropriate by management.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
- Processes specimens, assists in the cutting room, prepares tissue for slide examination by pathologists, and stains slides for frozen section evaluation by pathologists.
- Uses prescribed techniques and standard operating procedures to perform all preparation and staining methods in the area of routine histopathology.
- Performs gross examination and submission for small endoscopic gastrointestinal biopsies, bronchoscopic biopsies, small cervical, endocervical, and endometrial biopsies and needle biopsies of the prostrate under the indirect supervision of a pathologist. Only biopsies, which require simple quantification, standard description, and total submission without selection, may be handled. Ongoing competency assessment by a pathologist is required to perform these duties
- Sections punch and shave biopsies of skin and elliptical skin biopsies without margin orientation under the direct supervision of a pathologist. Sectional specimens must be totally submitted and follow standardized gross description. (All other specimens requiring selection, cutting or orientation are to be submitted by a pathologist.) An ongoing competency assessment by a pathologist is required to perform these duties.
- Assists the pathologist with dissection and handling of specimens under close, direct supervision (positioning and holding amputated extremities and changing fixative and decal solutions on specimens).
- Performs and documents routine quality control and preventative maintenance. Ensures that all parameters are within stated acceptable limits and takes appropriate action when results fall outside acceptable ranges. Performs daily housekeeping duties such as glassware cleaning, tissue processor cleaning, and countertop decontamination.
- Stains slides utilizing established routine and special stain procedures. Evaluates stains for appropriate reactions. Documents all QC.
- Prepares reagents, stains, fixatives according to established protocols.
- Files slides, blocks, and tissues for easy retrieval.
- Works with all members in a lab team to provide histology lab services in a timely, coordinated, cost effective manner.
- Identifies problems, causes, and possible solutions. Keeps other team members and supervisor advised of problems, workload considerations, deadlines, and other situations affecting the quality and turnround of lab services.
- Follows safety procedures to assure a safe work environment for self and coworkers, notifying supervisor or safety officer of any concerns.
- Participates in inservice and continuing education to attain and maintain competency.
- Carries out duties in an accurate, meticulous manner using absolute integrity, professional discretion, and confidentiality of patient and company information.
- Communicates with pathologists, lab assistants, transcriptionists, couriers, and others in a business-like, professional manner, working together to help deliver services.
- Performs other duties as assigned by pathologists, histology supervisor, and management.
- Routine Maintenance
- QC Responsibilities
Histotech (Healthcare Sciences)
Successful candidates for the Histotech:
- HT/ HTL(ASCP) certification, preferred.
- Skill in using a tissue processor, microtome, coverslipper, stainer, and computer, as well as experience embedding and performing special stains is required.
- Must be able to follow complex steps in a procedure, often simultaneously performing multiple tasks accurately without compromising quality.
- Requires skill in handling high volume workloads while maintaining accuracy, getting along with a variety of people, functioning effectively even with interruptions, prioritizing job workload, and adapting to changes in workflow, physical workspace, techniques, instrumentation, and assignments.
Histotech (Healthcare Sciences)
To apply: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
To Schedule Meeting: https://calendly.com/shellidefazio