RIP Medical Debt
Government Relationship Manager
Long Island City, NY
Hybrid – 3 days a week in office
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
RIP Medical Debt (RIP) was founded in 2014 by two former debt collections executives, who, over the course of decades in the debt‐buying industry, met with thousands of Americans saddled with unpaid and unpayable medical debt. They used their expertise and compassion to create a unique way to relieve medical debt: they would use donations to buy large bundles of medical debt and then relieve that debt with no tax consequences to recipients. The results have been spectacular— RIP has eradicated more than $10 billion in medical debts, providing financial relief for over 6.8 million individuals and families.
RIP’s mission is to end medical debt and be a source of justice in an unjust healthcare finance system, a unique solution for patient‐centered healthcare providers, and a moral force for systemic change.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
RIP is looking for a Government Relationship Manager (Manager) to oversee aspects of its government initiatives work. Reporting to the VP, Public Policy, the Manager will be responsible for managing contracts of government-funded abolishment initiatives, assessing government funding opportunities and serving as a liaison between the policy team, program team and government contract work. This includes building a set of relationships with public officials and their staff, providing information, answering questions about our abolishment approach, and ensuring robust and consistent communication internally to fulfill our contractual obligations. The work spans the entire government contracting process from initial engagement with public officials and other stakeholders to the final deliverables that include data reporting, story portfolios and press events. In addition, the Manager’s work will consist of researching, advising on, and writing government grants.
• Foster a portfolio of 20-30 government relationships and collaborate with contracted manager of government initiatives to ensure the client is satisfied with pre and post contractual deliverables and are handled in a timely way by RIP team as they relate to budget, billing, debt purchasing and relief goals, data reporting, beneficiary engagement, press activities, funding opportunities, etc.
• Be a resource to local elected officials to answer questions and educate on the RIP debt relief model as they try to pass debt relief initiatives.
• Drive relationships and engage with local, state, and federal government entities and stakeholders.
• Assess and monitor the political landscape and dynamics of provider engagement and in regions considering debt relief initiatives (including stakeholder analysis and engagement).
• Partner with VP of Communications to develop and ensure accuracy of local coverage of RIP’s model.
• Maintain awareness of contract negotiation process and other technical steps being led by contracted manager of government initiatives.
• Monitor strategies to effectively pair relief work with root-cause legislative solutions and engage the policy team as needed.
• Report government initiative progress, updates, risks, delays, etc. to RIP team writ large.
• Research opportunities and draft grant proposals from non-government agencies.
• Collaborate with Grant & Project Manager and others as needed on building budgets and assembling other required information for each grant.
• Maintain records and submit reports related to grant opportunities.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
The successful candidate will be a smart, dynamic, and motivated professional with exceptional relationship-building and problem-solving skills. The candidate must also enjoy working collaboratively across teams internally and externally and have outstanding communication skills.
• 4+ years of experience working on campaigns, government affairs or projects in a political or healthcare landscape.
• Politically astute, fast learner with a strong knowledge of local, state, and federal legislative processes.
• A team player with the ability to forge productive working relationships with managers and colleagues.
• Ability to synthesize complex information and transform complicated issues into clear summaries, documents, and recommendations.
• Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong organizational and project management skills with attention to detail.
• Familiarity with grants reporting, RFP processes, and other government contracts.
• Communications background and/or knowledge about developing communications plans, planning press events, and working with multiple high-level stakeholders.
• Commitment to RIP Medical Debt’s mission, vision, and values.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
• Annual salary $90,000 - $105,000 for qualified local candidates (offers to candidates outside of the New York metro area may vary based on the location)
• Hybrid work environment (office work 3 days a week).
• 4 weeks PTO (with additional days granted upon 3rd and 5th anniversaries).
• Fully paid medical, dental, and vision coverage.
• Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability.
RIP Medical Debt - Government Relationship Manager
Position Specification - Page 3 of 3
• 403(b) retirement plan matching.
• Employee Assistance Program.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter AND resume in confidence using this link.
RIP Medical Debt is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. RIP Medical Debt makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.