Reports to VP of Operations
The selected candidate will coordinate complex aerospace projects leading a cross functional team of engineers, technicians and subcontractors. This role reports to the VP of Operations, though is accountable to the Program of assignment.
Though this position does not have direct reports, this is a leadership role. The Senior Project Manager must have the ability to motivate, develop project stakeholder buy-in, and maintain project momentum.
- Serve as a project management resource for project managers with less experience or ability.
- Participate in the creation and continuous improvement of the company’s project management methodology.
- Plan and execute projects at all phases, from concept to flight and from initiation to closure.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders and customers, and ensure requirements are identified and met.
- Create and maintain the full spectrum of project management documents, including a project plan, WBS, schedule, budget, risk, and other documents as appropriate.
- Work with the technical team to determine & define project tasks & to estimate durations.
- Lead the team to develop risks and opportunity registers that address costs, schedule, and technical development.
- Develop and maintain resource forecasting and tracking.
- Foster an effective team communication culture.
- Manage and report budgets and schedules, as well as assess project issues and develop resolutions to meet productivity, technical, and quality objectives.
- Identify and control scope.
- Provide direction for various project tasks to minimize risks and optimize project objectives.
- Continually assess project team performance and communicate to management any resource constraints that jeopardize project success.
- PMP Credential
- Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or another relevant field.
- 5 to 10 years aerospace project management experience.
- 5 years’ experience managing projects for external (i.e. paying) customers.
- Demonstrated success managing projects in a fast-paced and highly technical environment.
- Proven track record managing multiple projects.
- Experience with all aspects of project management including scheduling, cost controls, stakeholder management, risk analysis, problem resolution, and communication.
- Experience with resource forecasting and tracking
- Must communicate well and work with the various teams within and outside of the organization.
- Must possess the ability to effectively coordinate efforts with departments/subcontractors and hold teams accountable to meet project deliverables.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Master’s degree in business administration or engineering management
- High-level understanding of space vehicle systems and understand the importance of interfacing these systems.
- Knowledge of program phases, design, testing, qualification.
- Knowledge of the preparation of technical proposals and project requirements.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to lead teams to meet project objectives.
- Ability to simplify and communicate complex problems.
- Ability to communicate with all levels in the organization.
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Reliable, self-motivated, and open-minded
- Geared to share information and communicate with team members.
- Able to identify program risk, engineering ‘scope creep’, and develop/implement risk mitigation planning.
- Experience with avionics systems integration, including understanding of electrical and structural aspects.