MyCityRides (MCR) is rethinking transportation and removing barriers to ownership for individuals with limited means but unlimited potential. Memphians spend an average of 29% of their income on transportation. At $89 to $149 per month (>$5/day) scooter ownership is a reasonable and manageable transportation expense for many individuals with low incomes. The cost includes a 169 cc scooter, Scooter School education, scooter license, vehicle tag, taxes and title, basic insurance, preventive maintenance, safety gear and a wraparound community. Currently there are over 525 MCR Flyers on the road in Memphis — and we’re JUST getting started!
MCR is currently searching for a seasoned fund development professional to lead MCR to the next level. This position is MCR’s first Director of Development role; this individual will play a critical role in building out the Development functionality, including major and annual gifts. This effort will require an experienced professional who can both support MCR’s leadership and volunteers with the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors, while also building the infrastructure needed. This role will be a core part of the MCR Leadership Team, who are highly invested to grow our mission in action.
Lead Development Strategy & Execution:
● Creates and implements MCR’s first development strategy. This will include traditional fundraising strategies, including individual giving, corporate sponsorships, grants and events;
● Develops a three-year fundraising plan, with input from the Executive Director and Board of Directors, to support MCR’s growth initiatives;
● Assembles case statement of support for MCR;
● Ensures set-up of MCR’s CRM (Salesforce) for prospecting, leads and gifts;
● Prospects and stewards individuals, corporations and philanthropic organizations for sponsorships, donations and other support;
● Builds and manages a major donor prospect lists, and tracks progress via a revenues dashboard toward revenue goals on a regular basis for Leadership and the Board;
● Prepares and presents proposals for corporate and foundation support in concert with Executive Director, using created solicitations materials;
● Plans and manages events and fundraisers, utilizing MCR’s own unique space; and
● Oversees grant funding contractor.
● Assists in the launch of the MCR Advisory Council;
● Builds out both a Board and Advisory Council development functionality consisting of volunteers to assist with fundraising efforts in the community;
● Trains Board/Advisory Council to participate in fundraising activities; and
● Serves as staff liaison as needed, in concert with the Executive Director.
● Leads the narrative + oversees design development of materials used in fund development, including printed and digital collateral for all campaigns and tactics;
● Coordinates with marketing team to keep donors and stakeholders informed about MCR’s mission and investment opportunities;
● Provides input with marketing team on an efficient and meaningful communication strategy to keep stakeholders informed of MCR news; and
● Increases community awareness of MCR through representation at local events, public speaking engagements and networking.
● Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising techniques and sources of funding for non-profit agencies and organizations, particularly in the Memphis community;
● Capital campaign experience a plus;
● Self-directed, can both build and lead all fundraising activities;
● Demonstrates strong project management skills, including effective organization, ongoing management and outcome-oriented;
● Salesforce CRM experience preferred;
● Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to effectively communicate our mission to a variety of stakeholders - from Riders, to Board members, to philanthropic leaders;
● Passion for our mission in action - must enjoy the mission of transportation empowerment via scooters;
● Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and minimum of six years experience in development and/or marketing;
● Must legally reside in the United States and pass a background check;
● Office-based position, with local travel to meetings, events, etc.; and
● Interest in securing TN Drivers License Class “M” Endorsement.
Please send one PDF with the following information:
- Cover letter stating our interest in the role, a summary of your fund development work and expected salary range
- Three references