A world-class legacy research institution is searching for a Senior Python Software Engineer. This is an excellent opportunity for a curious and dynamic person who thrives in collaborative settings that value positivity, meaningful work, and innovation.
This position addresses critical societal issues by developing custom software solutions to meet demanding sponsor requirements by leveraging state-of-the-art cloud, commercial, and open-source capabilities and adapting them to mission requirements, and working closely with front-end developers and DevOps engineers to provide end-to-end solutions. The team focuses on developing and building high-impact initiatives focused on energy, national security, and the environment. The person in the senior Python software engineer position will work closely with both government and private sector officials and have the ability to effect change on a national and global scale.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Applying knowledge of software engineering practices — such as source control, problem tracking, design principles, etc. — with minimal oversight
- Taking initiative to set personal direction and goals
- Staying current about industry developments
- Working collaboratively within a team to execute the full system development life cycle
- Maintaining or following quality assurance procedures
- Demonstrating good time management skills
- Working with different technologies
- Conducting code reviews on components and applications to ensure adherence to the development standards and best practices
- Performing unit testing and system integration testing of newly developed functionality
- Helping set development standards in areas of best practices, code quality, test coverage, monitoring, logging, exception management, and so forth
- BS/BA in computer science, engineering, applied mathematics, or related field with five years of experience, MS/MA with three years of experience, or PhD with one year of experience
- Must be able to obtain a federal security clearance — candidate must be a US citizen
- Five plus years of experience programming in at least one object-oriented programming language such as Python, Java, C#, or C++
- Three plus years of advanced Python skills with a deep understanding of language internals, profiling, and best practices
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices and software project lifecycles
- Experience with big data platforms
- Experience with cloud platforms
- Active Federal Q Clearance and ability to maintain such clearance
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance plus health savings account and emergency travel insurance
- Tuition assistance, graduate-level educational stipend program, and career development programs
- Personal interest clubs and professional networks, miles of on-site walking paths, travel events, workshops, lectures, sports and recreation activities
- Two weeks of paid vacation to start, ten paid holidays per year, sick leave, maternity leave, educational leave, flexible work hours, and a teleworking program
- Discounts on mobile phone, home/auto insurance, fitness, computer, travel and hotels, local dining, and transit passes
- Pension plan, supplemental 401(k) savings plan with employer match
This is a full-time position based in Seattle, WA. Remote work is possible. The client has additional work sites as well.
Please reach out to us directly for further details. We understand talent comes in all sorts of different configurations. If you're wondering whether you're qualified or not, contact us directly so we can discuss the relationship between work purpose and prior experience.
At Blackmere, we believe innovation and diversity go hand in hand. We are an equal opportunity employer and 100% committed to maintaining an inclusive and diverse Blackmere. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other legally protected status.